Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2450 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

What's faster? The 2018 Mercedes-AMG W213 E63 S or the Porsche Panamera Turbo?

Get used to seeing videos like this. The new generation of German mid-size sport sedans is all about drag racing. They all have all wheel drive. They all have top mount twin turbo V8's. They are more similar than ever.

Click here to enlarge

Somebody has to be the quickest and fastest though, right? On paper the Porsche Panamera Turbo is at a disadvantage. It has less power and torque from the new 4.0 liter twin turbo V8 but it does have a dual clutch transmission.

Click here to enlarge

The W213 Mercedes-AMG E63 S on the other hand uses a 9-speed MCT automatic. A quick shifting box as well and a major advantage for the E63 other than just the power and torque is that it weighs 200+ pounds less.

It shows in the performance as the E63 S kicks dust in the Panamera Turbo's face. It is two seconds faster to 150 miles per hour and the difference is almost a full three seconds by 160. Clearly it is the more powerful car (trap speed would have been nice to see EVO):

Click here to enlarge

It will take a Porsche Panamera Turbo S to reverse the outcome and Porsche is playing it smart not releasing the Turbo S right away. They will likely wait and see what Mercedes and BMW offer and then top it. Which they better for the considerable price premium.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd take the AMG any day over the Porsche. Idk what it is the cars just hideous to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yeah the Panameras are just ugly. Even the revision didn't make it any better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When Panameras got so fat?!?!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The new Panamera looks much better than the previous gen. However still it is not as attractive as the new M5 or the new E63.

Performance wise...the Panamera is the only offering with a DCT of the four major german brands....

According to all the b|tching and complaining going on about the M5 not having a DCT i would expect a lot of these whiners to get into a Panamera turbo for the DCT...but since its all a bunch of hot air, I bet that doesn't happen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2450 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
    When Panameras got so fat?!?!
    I don't know why the damn thing is so heavy.